Blustery cold wintery days like today have me thinking back on how much fun Summer is and all the fun things that are to come in the months ahead. Strolling down memory lane today has me reminiscing on how much I love being a Louisville KY Newborn Photographer and the twins outdoor newborn session that I shot several months ago of the adorable boy / girl twins, Ari and Olivia. I love outdoor newborn sessions for a couple of reasons. First, you don’t have to constantly worry if the baby is warm enough; I only shoot these sessions when it’s 82° and warmer. Second, I have several different vignettes to stage my shots with at gorgeous locations around town that I have previously scouted out. Last, but certainly not least, if you shoot late enough in the day then you’re sure to catch some gorgeous sunsets! Here a just a handful of my favorites when scrolling back through their session this afternoon. At the bottom of the post, be sure to read up on some helpful tips for shooting outdoors!
Meet Ari, I just adore how peaceful this little prince is here in this field!
This organic wool mini blanket from Mama Knits is a staple in my outdoor sessions. I love all the beautiful tones in it that pull from nature.
His sister, Olivia, was just as peacefully asleep as he was and enjoying a light summer breeze during her setup.
Dreamy golden mini blanket from Tanya’s Tangles matched perfectly to the sunflower tieback that I found at Sixpence & Sage. Both, paired with the surroundings and the olive toned bucket, made for a beautiful setup.
A good thing about working with twins is, you can always work whichever one is done eating first or is settled the most. Olivia was in a good deep sleep by this time and slept like an angel for me while her bubby was grabbing a snack! As you can see below, I love organic, natural, wispy looking setups when outdoors.
Bonnet and matching fluff from Beautiful Ewe, Wrap by Itsy Bitsy Blooms and organic nest from Avonli Cottage.
Tieback below came in a beautiful 3pc set from Snippets Props.
Icy Blue fluff from Beautiful Ewe.
This gorgeous headband by Lela worked so well with Olivia’s sweet little face, don’t you think?
I saved my favorite for last. Brother and Sister all snuggled up together. They slept so well and soothed each other when they were side by side. <3 Tieback is from the 3pc set I got from Snippets, wraps are from Stitches by Sarah & mini blanket is from Mama Knits.
A few tips for shooting outdoors:
1) Bring bug spray, generally an OFF Clip-On works well and it won’t rub off on baby.
2) Don’t forget to take all of your makeup off before the session! It melts in humid temps and *really* stings when it gets into your eyes.
3) I like shooting in open shade, but if you can’t find shade, bring something to make your own!
4) If it’s TOO HOT for YOU, then it’s definitely TOO HOT for BABY! Keep in mind that temp needs to be *at least* 82°F in order to have a successful outdoor session (unless you plan to tote a heater around the whole time on top of the mountain of props you brought with you).
5) If you take one piece of advise from me today, do yourself a favor and buy a collapsible wagon to drag all of your props around! I learned this one the hard way!
6) If you struggle with angles, how to pose baby safely or working with newborns in general, please check out my fabulous mentor, Rachel Vanoven. She offers wonderful teaching / guidance. I highly recommend both of her In-Person and Online workshops!
If you found this post interesting or would like to suggest a post topic, please leave a comment below. As always, thank you for reading and more up to date photos and posts can be found on my Facebook Page & Website.
Jennifer Rittenberry Photography specializes in newborn, baby, family, child and maternity photography in Louisville, Kentucky and surrounding areas including but not limited to Mount Washington.